So I’m finally starting to make progress. I’ve emerged from the first massive refactoring of my code and game architecture in one piece and only a few tears. I’m getting closer to the point where I’m happy with it all. I’m not 100% happy with it, there are some murky parts. But the key thing is I’m close to solidifying a single method when generating everything from the city layout to where filing cabinets go.
I have the some basic offices layouts down now. It’s not the only type of building in Redacted, but it’s the key type and I’m concentrating on that to begin with. It’s certinaly buggy at the moment and there needs to be a lot more work done in many areas; there are no kitchens and bathrooms – yet. We do have basic offices, meeting rooms and from there I can start to build my game on.
Real world office planning revolves around unit boxes that building designers and furniture manufacturers all adhere to. The American standard is a 5 foot box that can fit a desk and a person on a seat. At the moment my boxes are slightly larger on the account of the desks I’m using. This might change with different buildings and desk types.
To place everything I take each room and cut it into (invisible) boxes. I find out where the entrances are and mark them down. Then I mark paths from each entrance to another until all entrances are connected. I check for unreachable boxes that do not have a path next to them and attempt to draw another path from the deepest inaccessible box until it reaches a path or door.
Then I place desks on all the non-path boxes and rotate their entrance based on where there is a path or entrace. If there are many free boxes, I alternate which to use based on the x and y box coordinates to increase the chance of alternating desk layouts like we see in real life. In the above example it is obvious there is a little more work to be done to improve this. All the rooms now have desks, chairs, cabinets, lights and light switches. There are a few more key ingredients to put in but we’re getting close!